Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mountains Beyond Mountains


Paul Farmer is in Seattle right now (squeal of delight)! He is right up there with my everyday heroes, Nicholas Kristof and David Brooks. Farmer is the subject of Tracy Kidder's "Mountains Beyond Mountains". Back in my Miss WA days, my dear friend Laura suggested I read the book. I read plenty of good books that year, but his was the only book I ever blogged about (if you followed the blog then, you knew I tried not to endorse any particular politics, businesses or books). I couldn't resist endorsing Kidder's book. I remember saying, not only should people read it, I hoped they would be inspired enough to be changed by Farmer's approach to life. Paul Farmer is the consummate Robin Hood, sometimes robbing the rich to pay the poor (lifting medical equipment from Harvard for clinics in Haiti). He has started clinics around the world with his organization Partners In Health . He is also being considered for the top post in USAID by the Obama Administration.

His life inspired me to get into global health. Imagine my excitement when I found out that we would be asking Farmer to do a town hall with us?! When an email from him appeared in my inbox I wanted to call everyone I knew to tell them that I got an email from Paul Farmer! I restrained myself then, but I don't know what I will do when I get to meet him tomorrow night. I'm sure it will just be a "hello, my name is..." kind of introduction, but my knees could buckle, and then I might black out and then Paul Farmer might have to save my life. Can you imagine?

I'm going to try my darndest to get a picture with him, though I know the masses will be flocking around him. If I do, I'll post it here. If you're in Seattle tomorrow night, please come. It is free and open to the public.
kiki san

1 comment:

  1. So...logically speaking, of course: If you fainted and accidentally knocked over Mr. Farmer, who was coincidentally standing at the edge of a canyon in one of those mountains beyond the mountains, would he then be considered The Farmer in the Dell?

    Padre

    ReplyDelete