Friday, June 26, 2009

Just putting a little life in your life


On a sunny day, Volunteer Park seems almost imaginary. The beautiful conservatory filled with exotic flowers, the Asian Art Museum, sprawling green lawns and trees with branches that seem to be made for the sole purpose of climbing. This past weekend, I journeyed solo to Volunteer Park for a nice, long walk. I walked, and walked, and walked around the park (it's huge) to find the most opportune reading location. One that would keep me warm, yet out of direct sunlight (due to my sensitive Norwegian skin) and preferably in the midst of some gnarly tree roots. My solo sojourn was filled with one thought, "why have I not made a friend?" I was walking around slowly, smiling and acknowledging the Frisbee game, the dog-walkers (I probably stopped to pet 3 dogs, who can resist?) and the picnic-ers, yet no one invited me to be a part of their party. Odd really.

I walked past a set of friends and they called after me. I turned and one said, "I'm just trying to put a little life in your life". This, of course, made me laugh pretty hard. But I kept on walking. About a minute later one of the guys came running after me and asked if I would like to hang out with them for the afternoon. I ended up talking with him for over an hour. And I only left because I wanted to be on time for my dinner with Laura (which deserves a completely dif't blog entry; Laura's Kenya stories, Coastal Kitchen, new favorite granola hippy store). You know what, I'll admit that I've been a bit jaded about making new friends in Seattle, but last Saturday was a refreshing reminder; you really can make new friends anywhere, especially in your hometown!

kiki san

1 comment:

  1. one of my absolute favorite places in that city. so proud of you for going solo-i totally would have done that too! :)

    ReplyDelete